Thursday, June 29, 2006

When the government becomes a spy

Hello everyone,

I hope you'll forgive me for my infrequent postings. With the media speculating about another possible election some time in the fall, I suspect that this blog will heat up again soon.

But here is my latest column for Cap X -- focusing on the government's proposal to tap people's phones without their knowledge or permission. Scary stuff. The article is directed to a gay audience, but the issues that I touch on should be chilling to anyone, if I do say so myself.

You also might be interested in reading Matthew Behrens' reflections on his experiences travelling with Camp Hope. As I mention in my column, it was truly inspiring to hear him speak about his experiences as an activist on the security certificates issue.

And on a completely different issue, I was thrilled to find out that a youth-run grassroots coalition has sprung up, to fight the Tories' regressive age of consent legislation (actually they're calling it the "age of protection" now). You can find the coalition's website here.

Oh, and the new issue of This Magazine (which just hit the stands and is not online yet), features an excellent cover story about how Harper's mandatory minimum sentencing proposal would lead to growth of private prisons in Canada. And if you want to know why this is a very, very bad thing, check out this article from Mother Jones magazine written in 2000.

And despite all of this troubling news, I hope you are able to have some fun this long weekend.

No comments: