Thursday, November 30, 2006

Plow that furrow straight ...

I don't usually write about municipal politics, but I was so saddened by the results of the recent Ottawa mayoral election. For those not from Ottawa -- we just elected an extreme right-winger, with absolutely no municipal government (or any government) experience.

Here's my assessment of Larry O'Brien.

Since the election, O'Brien has appointed Walter Robinson, the former director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation to be his chief of staff (this is one of the groups that promotes "Tax Freedom Day" -- I won't link to them, but I will link to the CCPA's criticism of their narrow perspective). And today, he just approved big pay increases for himself and the other city councillors.

Meanwhile, he's promising a property tax freeze, and has made the absurd claim that this won't affect city services.

It's going to be a long four years in Ottawa ...

No comments: