Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Elizabeth May responds

For those who have been following the story about Elizabeth May's recent ridiculous comments about abortion, here's a link to where she responds to some of the criticism of her position. While I am relieved to hear her clarify that she is in fact pro-choice, I think that her new statement belies the same kind of paternalism as her previous ones. She says, "Obviously, no woman facing an unwanted pregnancy takes the issue of a possible abortion lightly. It is always a very difficult, emotionally charged choice."

I don't agree. By suggesting that abortion is always a horrible decision, she is playing into the Christian Right's notion that abortion leads to emotional trauma and regret. That's why I find the "I had an abortion" movement so powerful. It's all about women speaking the truth about their experiences with abortion -- whether they were traumatic or -- gasp -- joyful.

3 comments:

Saskboy said...

I find it a strange concept that someone would consider any medical procedure "joyful". I suppose restoring a body part to a condition that suits the owner, could cause joy from the relief of disfunction or renewed function, but the simple fact that joy is the opposite of stress shows that abortion is still an emotional experience - as is any medical procedure. It's not just the Christian Right that recognizes that abortion can be emotionally traumatic.

Ariel said...

I hear where your coming from ... I am certainly not trying to diminish the difficult decision that many women go through when they are trying to decide whether or not to terminate a pregnancy. But I am just trying to challenge the idea that abortion is always a gutwrenching decision. I know at least one woman who was overwhelmingly relieved after having the procedure, and was happy that she made the right decision for her.

saskboy said...

"a gutwrenching decision."
I'll assume you weren't making a pun ;-)

I can understand that it could be joyful, the same as it could be traumatic. Regrets could come from either choice, so it's up to the person to decide that the past is settled, and to go from there.