Friday, December 01, 2006

More from Elizabeth May on abortion

I'm going to throw it to Audra Williams for this one ...

But allow me to quote Ms. May directly, from a candidates' debate held during the London by election:


So if one group of people say, "A woman has a right to choose", I get queasy, because I'm against abortion. I don't think a woman has a frivolous right to choose. What I don't want is a desperate woman to die in an illegal abortion. But I also don't think it's right to say - Well, you see, you end up
having this conflict.

What I'd like to do in politics - and I've talked about this in some other settings besides here today, because this is the first time it's come up in London North Centre - what I'd like to do in politics is to be able to create the space to say, "Abortions are legal because they must be to avoid women dying. But nobody in their right mind is for abortions."

No, Elizabeth. Abortions need to be legal, because a woman should have the right to make choices about her body for ANY reason. There are lots of people "in their right minds" who are for abortion. I'm one of them. Sometimes women are in grave medical distress, and need an abortion for that reason. Other women simply don't want to go through with a pregnancy. Some of them have been raped, and others participated in joyful, consensual sex. Either way, we get to choose whether or not to terminate a pregnancy. That's the point.

3 comments:

Caro, sugarless since 2001, mommaless since 1997 said...

I can't believe she said "right mind"! That's so blatantly judgemental! As much as it’s not aligned with my own version of being pro-choice, I do give respect to people who say that they are pro-choice yet wouldn't personally choose abortion. I feel that's a pretty good concession to having one's own specific set of ideals yet also recognizing the situation at hand for women who feel that they cannot go through with their pregnancy. However, she's not even using that kind of logic! All she's doing is blabbering on about how she's uncomfortable with abortion and how she wishes that women would never resort to non-professional abortions so that Canadian Law could make it illegal without needing to worry about women dying. It's just not an argument that is rooted in reality! It's a totally frivolous conversation and I find it highly annoying. I also think that it acts as a bit of a smokescreen, cause her convoluted non-logic bewilders and stupefies in a way that we usually attribute to George Dubya.
Gawd – when are we going to require proof of critical thinking skills for our politicians?

Caro, sugarless since 2001, mommaless since 1997 said...

I can't believe she said "right mind"! That's so blatantly judgemental! As much as it’s not aligned with my own version of being pro-choice, I do give respect to people who say that they are pro-choice yet wouldn't personally choose abortion. I feel that's a pretty good concession to having one's own specific set of ideals yet also recognizing the situation at hand for women who feel that they cannot go through with their pregnancy. However, she's not even using that kind of logic! All she's doing is blabbering on about how she's uncomfortable with abortion and how she wishes that women would never resort to non-professional abortions so that Canadian Law could make it illegal without needing to worry about women dying. It's just not an argument that is rooted in reality! It's a totally frivolous conversation and I find it highly annoying. I also think that it acts as a bit of a smokescreen, cause her convoluted non-logic bewilders and stupefies in a way that we usually attribute to George Dubya.
Gawd – when are we going to require proof of critical thinking skills for our politicians?

Ariel said...

Yeah, it's the sanctimonious tone that kills me ...

It's kind of like the "charity vs. rights" debate. You know, provide social services for the "deserving poor," but not the freeloading welfare bums.

This is a similar argument. Abortion only for desperate women who might die in back alley abortions.

Puke.