Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Remember, mourn, fight for change

I was going to write a really long and reflective post about today, Dec. 6, the anniversary of the Polytechnique Massacre. But Gina Whitfield did such a stellar job in the Tyee.

I was 10 years old when this horrific event occurred, but I remember it strongly. I was already a self-identified feminist by that age, and it shook me to the core that a killer would single out women like that ... sadly, male violence against women still hasn't gone away. This makes me even more furious that the Conservative government actually removed the word "equality" from the mandate of Status of Women Canada.

The amazing women at Status Report are tracking this government's actions against women, and providing an information source/meeting place for people who want to join the fight.

1 comment:

Queer As Moi said...

There's a campus ceremony today I have to miss due to other commitments... so consider this my virtual candle lit.